Thursday, March 19, 2009

A Trip to Red Rock Mesa

Under Western Skies
.
Yesterday, Jaysun and I went on an exploring excursion to Red Rock Mesa, a sim featuring Native American and Southwest art. Set in the American Southwest, Red Rock Mesa features towering red bluff cliffs and lonesome pines. This sim should have been a magnificent natural panoramic setting with which to display Native American culture. Unfortunately, it is so cluttered with theme park structures and shops that much of its naturalistic beauty is obscured. But there are things to see and fun things to do here. I had a very enjoyable time made even more so by Jay's company.
.
There is no flying allowed at Red Rock Mesa so one must be prepared for plenty of walking and climbing. One starts by exploring the pueblos of cliff dwellers and climbing the ladders to get to the higher ridges. There is a wonderful rock climbing cliff that I ascended to get to the top of the mesa. I actually found this challenging, and it was so much fun. Using mouselook to look down into the valley floor, while dangling precariously from a rock, made me deliciously dizzy. I am a little nervous around heights in real life. Throughout the mesa one hears tribal drums and singing. Dancing and circling a large fire to the beating of drums fired my imagination. I imagined Jaysun staked out for the ants and vultures by our tribal warriors. He is a dastardly cowboy, after all (but I would certainly save him from that awful fate a la Pocahontas).
.
I know that I decried the quantity of shops taking away the grand vistas of Red Rock Mesa, but the shopping is good and recommended. I bought a couple of Native American motif rugs and number of Native American costumes, the best of which is a lovely Navajo outfit with beautiful turquoise jewelry and accents. This outfit is featured twice in the pictures of this post. I've also started thinking about doing a future fashion blog post about Native American fashions. So if you are in the mood for alittle exploring, consider a trip to Red Rock Mesa. I might come back someday for more shopping and to climb that cliff again.
.

Indiana Jones couldn't do it better
.
Hanging on by my finger tips - Darn my manicure is ruined
.
Can you really rock climb backwards like this and in high heel boots
.
Navajo Princess

.Red Rock Mesa, Native American Indian and Southwest Art

.

No comments:

Post a Comment